Stroke Academy is the first step in joining our FAST Falcons competitive team. This program focuses on technique to prepare swimmers for the competitive team.
Beginning stroke technique skills to build a foundation for freestyle. (*1 instructor per 4 swimmers)
- Streamline push from the wall, face in the water to instructor
- Splashing kicks
- Rotate from streamline kicks to backfloat
- Rotate from backfloat to face in and streamline kick to the wall
- All Bronze level skills
Water skills and safety tips that stay with them throughout all swim lessons. (*1 instructors per 4 swimmers)
- Face in the water
- Blowing bubbles
- Float on your back
- Comfort in the water
- Fun in the water
- Pass backs from one instructor to the other supported, face in the water
Continue stroke technique skills for freestyle, begin backstroke technique foundation.
- Freestyle arm development
- Streamline push from wall into freestyle stroke
- Rotate from freestyle swim to backfloat
- Learn timing for freestyle breath
- Backstroke push from the wall
- All Silver level skills
Freestyle and backstroke technique refined.
- Backstroke arm development
- Push from wall, freestyle to backfloat, to wall
- Freestyle technique refined full 25 yards
- 25 yards proficient backstroke
- All Gold level skills
For ages 2 & under with a parent in the water with them.
- Parent in the water with their child
- Water exploration
- Getting face wet
- Blowing bubbles
- Floating on back
- Swimming from instructor to parent with support
- Safety Skills – Learning the basics to be safe in the water
- Refining strokes to become active in the water
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS
No matter your swim level, our private lessons provide 1:1 instruction. Our instructors will work with you to develop your swim skills, hone your strokes, or even learn to swim. For availability, please call: 352-820-4222.
- 4×30 minutes private lessons: $105
- 8×30 minutes private lessons: $210
OUR CORE VALUES
Gemma Fleming, Aquatic Program Director
Gemma Fleming, (Spofforth) is an English former competition swimmer who represented Great Britain in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, FINA world championships and European championships, and England in the Commonwealth Games. Gemma is the former world record-holder and 2009 world champion in the 100m backstroke and won a total of eight medals in major international championships. She is a Hall of Fame 2020 inductee for the University of Florida, she was also a five-time NCAA champion, NCAA Record Holder, 18-time All-American Selection, 2009 SEC Female Swimmer of the Year, eight-time All-SEC Selection, four-time SEC Champion, and four-time SEC Record Holder.
She has taught lessons under SwimAmerica of Gainesville for 12+ years. Gemma is ESE certified and worked in the public education system as a school counselor for 7 years. Her philosophy for life is “empathy and kindness, together with hard work and dedication will take you far.”